Friday, July 25, 2014

Writing Prompt ~ Mother/Aunt/Grandmother



Writing Prompt ~ Mother/Aunt/Grandmother

Give me a memory of your mother, aunt or grandmother. If it's an Aunt, say her name. "I remember Aunty Betty ..." 

Remember to be specific and use all your senses. Let us really see who she is through what she says, does, enjoys, chooses to wear.

GO for ten minutes.




Summers spent with Grandma Allen are some of the best memories I have.  She lived in Benito, Manitoba, Canada in an old two-story farmhouse. The kitchen had a black wood burning stove and white farmhouse sink.  A black cast iron pot hung over the fire where my grandma made thick, meaty stews and chicken noodle soup.  My grandma’s meals were the true definition of comfort food. 

The homestead didn’t have running water and I remember using the outhouse, with a crescent moon on the door, and the rope to lead me to it when it was dark.  We brought water in from the stone well, and the smokehouse and cold cellar held all the meat and fresh vegetables picked from the garden.  We milked cows, gathered eggs from the chicken coops and churned fresh butter, which was placed in an old white bowl on the table to accompany the freshly baked bread. 

Bath time was Saturday evening, right after we finished washing the supper dishes.  Grandpa brought water in from the well and heated it up in a big, black kettle on the fire.  He poured it into the rustic, wooden wash tub and my Grandma scrubbed me with the homemade soap and washed my hair.  Then she wrapped me in a soft towel and sent me off to the get dressed in my night clothes.  I climbed into the big feather bed and she came in with warm milk and a book to read and not long after, I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment